Friday, November 4, 2016

STABCO by Joe Schwartz | ARC | A Book Review

STABCO by Joe Schwartz Book Review


I got this ARC from the author, Joe Schwartz, through Library Thing. I found Library Thing by accident. An author I have been following on Goodreads posted about giving his books on Library Thing. All I need to do was just sign up and request for them. And I did. The rest is history. Each month they have loads of books to be given away. For non-US and Canada residents, they send out e-books. I have almost 50 books from them since I signed up last August 2016. Now, I'm trying to figure out which books I need to read first. Of course, reviews are not required but if you are a true bookworm, you know that reviews are like oxygen to authors and keep them going. Make sure to write a review, even if they are a one liner or two. Library Thing also have Pirate Day treasure hunt which was a lot of fun and other activities with prizes. What are you waiting for? Go over to their site and sign up for free books.

STABCO is a story about two brothers who had to work for each penny to survive. They do odd jobs like cleaning the toilets and throwing trash. Then, one day, guys in neckties approached them and gave them a calling card. They were promised that their lives will change for the better. So, the brothers, having nothing to lose, checked it out . It turned out, they were to become door-to-door salesmen for a knife company. Yes, stab me! As the name obviously suggests, STABCO - stab as in sharp, stainless steel, high-end kitchen knives company. Unknown to our two poor brothers, these knives hold the ticket to the unbelievable change that they so long dreamed.

Yes, I like the plot. I root for the underdogs because most of the time I feel like one. And I can relate to brothers as I did not come from a well-off family. I had to be a working student to finish college. My sister also had to work for a fast-food chain in order to pay for her college tuition. My brother sought a scholarship for a technical course. His best and fastest way to earn a degree and start working. And the three of us are proud that we have successfully done that. Even our relatives and the people who knew of our financial situation could not believe how we have done it. We have become great examples of making it out alive. Of finishing school even if our parents can't afford it, by being resourceful and by pure will and perseverance. Truly, if there's a will, there's a way. I admit, it was not easy. There were always people who treat you like you are below them but I survived in spite of all the crying and not wanting to go back to work but I had no choice. Now, it  hasn't changed much, there are still those type of people, but I guess now I have the choice to not suffer by staying away from these people. I have no tolerance for bull shit and I don't kiss ass just to be liked or noticed. I try to do my best and always be honest with myself. And truth be told, people only hear what they want to hear. Honesty is overrated. No one appreciates real, hard core honesty. I had enough being bullied. I am so done dealing with these kind of people. I have no patience left. I'd rather be somewhere else.

Okay, back to the book. Sorry, I got carried away. As I said, I liked the plot. The two brothers did something extraordinary and was rewarded for it big time. We all want that kind of fate, right? To do a random act or spur of the moment decision to help and the heavens open because you have been a good Samaritan. It was a nice premise and after reading how this story came to be and what it had gone through to get published, I respect it. But, I wished there was a better ending. I wished they had taken the other offer. I think the brothers deserve better than just selling sharp objects. And I wished the love angle was not part of the story. I just thought there was no need for it. I also wished that the history of the boys were pursued. How they were not in the system and I thought the police would have worked on that. That part was very tantalizing. It promised a lot. It made me curious. Though, their origin was later on explained and their often-mentioned Momma was finally revealed, I still wished there was more. 

I give the book 2/5 sharp kitchen knives. I love how the brothers were forced to become great men. The story was getting interesting starting from there. I just wished the beginning hinted of what was about to happen. My interest was not fanned in the first few chapters and I actually wondered if this story was going anywhere. I almost wanted to put it down. I just wished the tone was more suspenseful to bait my full attention. 



Momma always said I should have been a plumber with all of my pipe dreams.
- Joe Schwartz, STABCO -



Release Date: October 20, 2016



Thank  you again Joe Schwartz and Library Thing for the ARC.


No comments:

Post a Comment