Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Smallest Thing by Lisa Manterfield | A Book Review

The Smallest Thing by Lisa Manterfield | A Book Review  by iamnotabookworm!

I have been MIA for about three weeks. I have another endeavor which I'm trying really hard to work out.  I am currently home away from home and I am hoping that this is going to be the break that I have been waiting for. I am praying that the Lord will have mercy on me and finally grant me this fervent wish.  I have asked the help of all my prayer warriors and from all the angels and saints in heaven to help pray for me also. 

One other reason which contributed to my being MIA from the blogging and the book world is that some keys on my laptop (technically my brother's which I borrowed) are not working. And they turned out to be the most used keys. What a pain it is! I have to resort to using the on-screen keyboard which is not as easy as the usual. I think it would take me a very long time to finish this review.  So, I might as well get on it.

Oh, did I mention that this review was supposed to be due the first day of August? Yes! I am way past the very dead deadline.  I have sent an email to ebooksforreview.com of my challenge. And this has been truly testing my patience and resourcefulness.

Like the story, we would never know how the smallest thing could affect or alter an aspect of our life. Just like the on-going challenge I am experiencing. I never thought that I would ever have this kind of problem and it affects me greatly because the laptop is my partner in this blogging and book reviewing lifestyle. I felt handicapped by this. The Smallest Thing is about a 17-year old girl who can't wait to leave her small town and live and breathe London. Until, a series of deaths in the neighborhood lead to more complications and heartbreaks. If you ask me, what happened in this book was not really a small thing. It was very huge and had affected the life of the main character Emmott and her small town deeply, that made her grow into a mature and selfless woman. 

I can relate to Emmott very closely. I think we have been all under a similar situation where we made plans for our future and have painstakingly and religiously took care of the details but then by some fortuitous event abruptly change all those plans. And all those other backup plans we prepared for such eventuality don't even apply. And the most heartbreaking thing of all, is we are forced to change the direction we are heading. We are not only forced to alter our plans but scrapped it all and do something else. The exact opposite. Even, start over. And much to our surprise and relief, everything works out in the end.

The story is very realistic. It truthfully mirrors real-life. Like how diamonds are made, we too have to undergo a similar process of polishing by going through high pressure and extreme temperatures to bring out our shine and be the best of what we are. We become strong because we have been tested and have survived situations we thought we could never get out alive. And like in the story, the simplest gestures often mean a  whole lot to others. Yes, a random act of kindness goes a long way. It gives hope to some. And for some people, they just need the tiniest spark.

My only wish was that it ended with a clear note on Aiden. He was key to the change in Emmott's character so it's just fair that his character should deserve a better picture of how he turned out in the end of the story.   

I give the book 4.5/5 Big Ben Towers. This is a very unassuming book but it packs a punch. It may say small but it would fill your heart with overwhelming emotions. Emmott started out as a typical teenager who can't wait to spread her wings and be her own person, like we were all were. Then, ends up doing the opposite because it was the right and the best thing to do. The situation demanded that she think beyond herself and she rose up to the challenge.

 

I don't have much to offer--a friendly face, a kind word, and a simple human touch, the smallest thing--but it's better than nothing.
- Lisa Manterfield, The Smallest Thing - 



Thank you again, Kathy of ebooksforreview.com for the copy. Sorry for the delayed post.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment