Monday, January 4, 2016

The Chase | The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan

The Chase | The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan by iamnotabookworm!


I am a big fan of Rick Riordan. I have read all the Percy Jackson books and the Red Pyramid series. When I saw his latest book on a local bookstore, my immediate reaction was -I should get my hands on this book.


Unfortunately, no one was generous enough to give me the book as a Christmas gift, so I had to be resourceful. I got an e-book copy and started reading.

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan book review
The book on display on a local bookstore.

For someone like me who is more familiar with the Greek and Roman mythology than the Norse one, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard is a really good source of information about the Norse Gods. According to Wikipedia, Norse Mythology refers to the mythology of North Germanic people. I think these would include people from Norway, Iceland, Sweden and Denmark. In short, all of Scandinavia. Of all the Norse Gods, I only know Odin, Thor (probably the most popular because of the movie franchise) and Loki. It was interesting to meet the other Gods and learn of what they do and stand for.

So, Magnus Chase, at first, I thought  the name sounds familiar and I found out when I read the book that he is actually a first-cousin of Annabeth from the Percy Jackson books. It was the last name Chase that my subconscious registered. Well, Magnus is a totally different character from Percy. Though, I have come to love Percy, Magnus is also a hero to-watch-for. He can totally hold his own against the Norse Gods, giants, demi-gods and other creatures of the nine worlds.  He has a lot to learn about the Norse and could only remember bits and pieces about them through the storybook he has read as a child. I am sure as the story and the next book gets published, his adventures will become more interesting and complex. Knowing Riordan, he will come up with amazing quests, impossible feats and conquests for our new hero to accomplish.

As to the whole book, it still retains the trademark of Riordan -translating the mythology (Norse) into a story set in modern times and the main hero is a clueless demigod (an offspring of a human and a god).  I think students today would find his books very helpful if they are studying Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Norse mythology. His books are like an idiot's guide to understanding the different mythological stories and creatures. If you read his book first and read classic mythology after, your life will be better. Like the other books, it's a story of a demigod who learns of his parentage and abilities through his adventures and misadventures along the way. I like that the book is still as funny and comical. I especially love the really sarcastic titles for each chapter. They really give you a summary of what the chapter is about, at the same time it keeps you in suspense that you can't wait to get started to read on and find out why the chapter is called as such.

As a fan and one who has been following Riordan's writing, as I have totally enjoyed all his books, I look forward to reading more of Magnus Chase. I look forward to going with him on his adventures as he travels and blunders through the nine worlds and fulfill his destiny as a son of Frey. I also think that he may soon meet Annabeth's friends as the book hinted. I hope he will. It will be so fun having all, if not, some of the demi-gods from different origins (Greek and Roman) meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment