Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Being a Witch and Other Things I Didn't Ask For by Sara Pascoe | A Book Review

Being a Witch and Other Things I Didn't Ask For  by Sara Pascoe | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I have to admit, I like stories about witches. In fact, my favorite TV show is Charmed. I remember hurrying home from school so I could watch it every Monday night. I just love those Halliwell sisters. 'Til this day, I still watch it on the web if I have a chance, because unfortunately, I did not get to finish the whole show. So, it's not a surprise that I chose to read this book.

Do you remember bumbling your way through something new? Like a new hobby, or a new craze or your first time to wear high heels? Channel that experience and picture it. That is exactly how the main character--Rachel or Raya, felt in this story. She has to clumsily learn and work through her new abilities as a witch. Sometimes, she had to learn the hard way. This is a coming-of-age story of Raya as a witch.

The story started slow. It started to get really interesting when the powers of Raya manifested. What sets it apart from the other witch stories is that the story takes you to  some places and times in history. It was for me a learning experience about another culture. Being transported to an exotic place set in an earlier era is always exciting for me.

When Raya's powers started to fully unfold, the story also started to peak. I think the highlight of the story is when Raya embraced her gifts. When she accepted who she is, it's when the story flew it's heights. I especially liked that part. I also liked Oscar's witty comments and replies to conversations. Oscar added more life and character to the story.

I give this story 3.5/5 black cats. I enjoyed the story and I am looking forward to the next location of Raya, Oscar and Bryony's adventures. I am looking forward to meeting new and exciting characters just like in this story.

 
Why does it seem like my life is always interrupted for other people and their problems?
- Sara Pascoe, Being a Witch and Other Things I Didn't Ask For -



Thanks again Netgalley for the copy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment