Saturday, July 6, 2019

The Debt and The Doormat by Laura Barnard | A Book Review

The Debt and the Doormat by Laura Barnard | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


It's a long weekend because of the July 4th. I work for a US company so I also enjoyed the long weekend.  I was feeling under the weather for the last two days so all I did was binge watch Korean dramas and movies. I was planning to write my very overdue book reviews but was feeling so uninspired. I have written very few reviews this year because when I get home from work, all I want to do is sleep. And on weekends, all I want to do are activities that do not involve brain function. Don't get me wrong, I love to write but it has been quite hard for me to find the time to really sit down and channel my emotion and thoughts. I guess, when you feel like you lack sleep and so stressed, it's a bit hard to focus. And I take writing my book reviews seriously. I need to be able to capture the emotions I felt when I read the book and convey it to the readers (to a few who read this blog). So, here I am again, trying to speak my thoughts. 

So, The Debt and The Doormat, I received this last year. I also read it last year, just haven't gotten around to posting a review. I was supposed to review the other books but it turned out I didn't have any pictures yet so I have to just review another one. I chose this book because this was so fun when I read it. This is a romantic comedy set in the UK. Yes, the voices of the characters when I was reading this were in British. 

The main character of the story is Poppy. Honestly, I am not sure if I like Poppy. Her character is not exactly the most admirable book character I have encountered but she had her good points too. Most of the time, I feel sorry for Poppy, especially with her obnoxious Mom. She can't seem to be honest with her Mom or if she did try, she was brushed aside. Yes, it seemed like it's so easy for people to not take her seriously and walk over her. Poor Poppy. Even her best friend, Jazz, seems to not take Poppy seriously sometimes, though she loves Poppy dearly. 

All in all, this was a fun read yet there would be times that you would feel irritated with the way the characters are acting. Sometimes you want to knock on their heads to put sense into the them. Poppy and Jazz' characters are not exactly lovable but you will feel like you want to get involved in their lives and help them. That's how the story was to me. I felt like wanting to be one of the characters and tell Poppy to stand up for herself and tell Jazz to grew a pair and start becoming a responsible adult. Good thing that these two actually developed and become better people by the end of the story. But a lot has to happen, mostly to Poppy, to make her see that people have been walking all over her and she just let them. 

One of the most delicate situations in this story was the one involving infidelity and the people involved are related to Poppy. She had caught the cheating couple and the dilemma is to tell the partners of these two what's going on. If I were Poppy, I would have told my brother. The truth will surely hurt and maybe destroy their marriage but I won't stand and just let my brother be made a fool. 

I think the flaw in Poppy's character is that she was unsure of herself, which most of us are also. But then again, even so, we have to know our strengths also. We have to know our values. What things do we love most and we should stand up for those things. We shouldn't let people just trample on them or destroy them. Somewhere, we have to draw the line where being nice and being such a pushover ends. But then, some people don't even realize that they've been taken advantage of. That they've been made a doormat. I guess, if I were one of Poppy's friends, I would have told her already. Of all the characters here, only one person was honest and cared enough to tell Poppy. It was Ryan. I would have done the same thing Ryan did. I would tell Poppy over and over how she's encouraging people to walk all over her. She should push back. I know her heart is in the right place but sometimes you have to tell people off. I am just happy that at the end, it all worked out for Poppy.

I gave this book 4/5 doormats. As I have said, Poppy is not the best character I've ever read but the whole book was entertaining that even if I have to read it again for the second time to make sure that I write my review right, it still felt like reading it for the first time. It was as entertaining as I remembered it. And that means a lot to me because I don't exactly reread books. To me rereading books either mean two things- one is I didn't understand the story or the book wasn't very memorable. The other is there is a need for me to read the story again because I badly needed to be reminded of how the story made me feel and I needed to feel that emotion in that very moment. There are stories that I have to reread because I needed to feel good about myself. I very rarely reread books. I reread this book because I am unsure of some of the details. Again, not liking Poppy's character so much, I had to be reminded of why I felt that way. With that said, I am not saying that this is not a worthy read. It is. I enjoyed it so much and the fact that Poppy's character bothers me so much is in itself evidence that the story got to me. Me being involved in Poppy's well-being is saying that I do care for Poppy although I wished she were firmer in her convictions. 





Maybe it won't be that bad to fancy someone a little bit. It might actually be good for me. He might be like medicine to me, a bit of a remedy. I just hope he doesn't turn out to be poison.
- Laura Barnard, The Debt and The Doormat -





Thank you again, Laura Barnard for the review book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment