Monday, August 24, 2020

Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead #1) by Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review

Circus of the Dead (Circus of the Dead #1) by Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


It's been a while since I last read a Kimberly Loth. I have missed her stories. They've always been so fascinating and intriguing. Waiting for the next book in the series was a pain and a form of torture. But it always ends up all worth the effort because it's always full of surprises that come from nowhere. I will always be an avid fan of her stories. And with this new book, I was reminded of how I have always enjoyed her stories. How her characters have made me hopeful and inspired in spite of all the hardships and stresses in the world. 

Circus of the Dead is just what it says. A circus full of horrors. Nasty clowns whose goal is not to make someone happy but miserable. A real deadly circus where there's always someone who ends up dead. There are ghosts and vampires too. It's not a place of fun, not unless you're a masochist or a sadist or think that seeing blood is fun. It's a place for the morbid and people who have a death wish. How Callie ends up in this horrible place is unfortunate. What was supposed to be a fun summer vacation with his Uncle in New Orleans, turned out to be a living nightmare she might not get out alive. 

This story reminds me of Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams. The only bright spot in the whole story is Callie who is full of spunk and will never give up. I guess, if it were someone of lesser strength and personality than she is, that person would have succumb to all the temptations already just to end everything. But not Callie. I root for her. Every attempt that she tries to get out of the island, I totally want it to succeed. Unfortunately, some greater magic is at work here that Callie has yet to understand in order to beat it and get out of the island and back to the loving arms of her family. 

I think the story is a bit relevant in this current time because with the Covid-19 pandemic, we are all like Callie, trapped in an island in New Orleans and finding a way to get out back to sunny California. And like some of the visitors of the circus, sadly, some people did not know that the time they spent at the circus, whether they were there out of curiosity or due to peer pressure, is actually their last time on earth. And like Callie, we try our best to stay alive in this forsaken island while biding her time until she can think of a way to get out for good.

The Circus of the Dead, just like the current pandemic reminds us of what's important in life. Family, friends and just the basic necessities. All else are unnecessary and we can do without. We will survive if we keep our wits and take one day at a time. And just like Callie, learn about the surroundings, the people and never lose hope. For Callie, she has to stay alive to get out of the island. She can't lose sight of that goal. She has to remind herself of that every day. 

I did enjoy the story even though it's a bit morbid and gruesome. But then again, every reader is forewarned. The title itself tells you that. Read at your own risk. But even so, as I have said, Callie's character is just so strong and she's a fighter. I think she was purposely lured to this place because there's something in her. I am not sure if she has a certain special ability of supernatural kind but she is special. And I would hate to say it but Samuel would rue the day he met Callie. I have faith that Callie will beat all odds and get out of the island and maybe bring back sunshine and hope to all the cursed inhabitants there also. But that's just me looking so far ahead. 

I give the book 5/5 gutsy fire dancers. This book is not for the faint and chicken-hearted. If you are a fan of Stephen King, you'll definitely love this story. If you've been following Kimberly Loth as I have, this is another story to be excited for. This type of story coming from Loth does not surprise me at all. With her talent of coming up with incredible and fascinating tales of adventures, I, in a way have expected she will likely come up with this one. I am excited and psyched as to what other horrors and blocks Callie has to go through in order to finally be back to the real world and be with her family again. I am also sure that Callie, with her mindset and attitude, will never let anything defeat her. She will find a way. I know she will. I guess, the best thing about Loth's stories are her characters. They're simply not to be messed with. They would find a way to beat the enemy or find a way to go around the obstacle. And I have a feeling that Callie's the type who can think out of the box. With that kind of thinking, I know she will outsmart Samuel. I bet on it. Watch out Samuel!




He's got that look that is dangerous but devastatingly handsome. The kind of guy who is sure to treat you like crap and yet, you run back to him because his kisses curl your toes. 

Not very good clowns unless their mission in life is to make everyone else as grumpy as they are.  
- Kimberly Loth, Circus of the Dead #1 - 



Thank you again, Kimberly Loth for the advanced review copy. I have missed you. I'm looking forward to the next books in the series. 



No comments:

Post a Comment