Friday, February 22, 2019

Super Me by Jessica Dazzo | ARC | A Book Review

Super Me by Jessica Dazzo | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I got this from the Contact Us form of this blog. The author's husband, Mike, reached out and asked if I wanted to review his wife's book. I agreed, so here it is. 

I would like to apologize to Jessica and Mike Dazzo for taking a long time to get this review posted. I appreciate your understanding.

I've read this about a few months ago, more like sometime in 2018. So, when I was writing this review, I was trying to remember what stood out for me in this story. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember. Yes, I came up blank. I can't even remember what the story was about and why it was called Super MeSo, the ending was I have to browse through the book again. Reading through my highlighted passages but still nothing seems to jump at me. Last resort was to reread the book from the start. I know, it's ridiculous but it's my bad because I didn't write a review right away and my mind have gone through a few holidays. It seemed like it had archived all the data and I can't seem to retrieve them. Or maybe, it's because the book did not really leave a strong impression or imprint on me. Well, rereading the book will definitely prove or disprove that assumption. Let's find out.

So, the story started with the main character- Faye, hearing things differently. Actually, the story started with Faye hearing the name Lucan. Yes, she thought it was weird but when it started to happen very often, she stared thinking that her own mind is betraying her. And here's the fun part, a cute boy with the name Lucan transferred to her school. Is that coincidence or what? The troubling part is the name is the reason that mostly gets her embarrassed. One time, they were in class and she was asked to read for a character in Romeo and Juliet and she read something in the book that goes, "my Lucan" which was not actually what was written in the book. She was so humiliated that she can't get out fast enough from the classroom. 

So, how did it feel rereading this book? It actually felt like the first time. I can remember that I exactly felt the same emotions reading some of the sad parts of this story and going teary-eyed again. I mostly remembered the emotions, although what the story was about and how it went only came to me when I was more than halfway through my second reading of the book. I am not sure why I have no retention of the story. I might have probably slept-read through it the first time. Even as I tried to read some reviews to refresh my memory, nothing really stood out and sparked my memory. So, to be honest, I did not regret rereading this book. It was all worth it because the story has a way of making you involved. It was a way of making you a part of Faye's struggles. They're real enough that you won't say that this is all too much teenage drama. I do admit, the supernatural part was a bit unexpected. Yes, I too think that Faye's mind was betraying her. That she might have a mental condition. Good thing, though that it was far from that. 

In spite of the fact that the book left me no impression or anything as a point of recollection for me, I actually enjoyed reading this one for the second time. And believe me, I don’t' like rereading books or watching a movie for a second or third time. Though I did that about a time or two. I can't exactly remember what movie that was that I re-watched but I did it because I want to remember how the story went. Yes, I only do redo's when my memory seems to be failing. But I will definitely say, I have a very sharp memory. I can remember faces and names of classmates from grade school and some other things. Having said that, I do believe that this story was written with enough dose of reality in it or as real as it gets. I know I caught myself a few times on the brink of crying. I just had to check myself because I was at the office when I was reading again this story. Don't worry, I really had nothing to do. I am waiting for another set of accounts to be worked on which were still coming. I have hit my target on the first set of accounts and had only three problematic ones to follow up on. 

Anyway, I give this book 4/5 pairs of well-worn and comfortable snow boots. The story has a way of making you comfortable with Faye. At the same time, you will feel all her struggles to the point that you will feel uncomfortable. You will think of Faye as your friend and hope for the best that she will eventually be able to deal with all her issues. I won't call them "teenage drama" because calling it drama would be downplaying the seriousness and gravity of her situation. She has a lot to deal with including raising her mom who I think has a lot of growing up to do and should pay more attention to Faye. Faye deserves a better mom. It felt like she's the female version of Atlas with a lot of things thrust on her very young and vulnerable shoulders. No kid should be parenting a parent. That's definitely messed up and felt like the world has fallen off its axis. Sad but it's a reality to some teens. 





And why can't the world just go on pause for a second so I could have a breather?
-Jessica Dazzo, Super Me-



Thank you again Mike and Jessica Dazzo for the ARC. Again, sorry for the very delayed review. 




No comments:

Post a Comment