Saturday, February 23, 2019

The Night by Matthew Murphy | A Book Review

The Night by Matthew Murphy | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I have been behind in my reviews so I thought of finding a way to be able to catch up, even just a few posts. I came up with an idea that it would be a lot easier for me to come up with reviews if I start with the stories that I can easily recall from the top of my head. So, I wouldn't be writing the reviews as to the order of how I received the books or what I read first but rather which one I can remember very clearly and easily. So, this story is one.

I was actually almost tempted to give up on this book - The Night. The start was so slow and so sleep-inducing that I'd wanted to just write it off. Good thing, I didn't because halfway through, the book started to get really interesting. New characters were introduced which gave life to the story. Exactly what I have been waiting for. Something to get me out of my near stupor. I was glad, I did not just stop when I was so tempted to. 

This story is about Chicago. The old Chicago. The dangerous neighborhood and where the whites and the black people don't mix. The blacks are still treated as lesser people. And like in most cases, in times of trouble and difficulties, some courageous soul rose up and stood up against the cruelties and injustices. In this story, there are actually two and then the whole neighborhood of blacks made a united front to stand against the person who took advantage of them for the longest time.

The main character here, Clive Baxter, a soldier who just came from war, comes home hopeful for a new start. But instead, found that there are worst things happening aside from the war. Worst of all, it's right in his home. 

I was disappointed with Clive's character on the first few pages. He started as a very strong character, full of hope and ready to live the rest of his life far from the war zone but he ended up with the wrong crowd and doing things against his convictions. He knew that what he's getting into is wrong but he still did them. I know his conscience bothered him and I am just relieved that he managed to get out and tried to change things. That is the Clive Baxter that was introduced in the beginning of the story and I wanted the same person to be able to come out of the chaos, if not stronger, even if the odds were so much against him. I think that's the true measure of a strength of a man. A real man.

So, even if I was partially disappointed of how the first few chapters of this story went, the ending had saved it. It was a real struggle for me getting to the end. I had to keep telling myself to keep going. I had to. I had to finish the book because even if it seemed that it might not go anywhere, I still have to get to the end to be sure I give it a fair review. With that said, I give this book 3/5 German World War II coats. The ending was the saving grace and if not for it, I would have totally given this a one or two rating. Add the fact that I can easily recall the two most interesting characters in this story. Being able to do that is a big plus for me. It means that the story or the characters in the story made an impression on me. The story gave me an experience that could not be easily forgotten or have drawn real emotions out of me which is what every reader is looking for in every story.





I didn't know him any more than any son knew his father. You look up to him. You never realize his faults until he's gone.

I know they say being in a war makes a man a believer and all that, but I saw first-hand what religion can bring. All those bodies of dead Jews piled in them holes in the ground. What if they don't believe? What if their religion didn't exist? I don't know. I guess, another reason to kill them would've been found.

You leave the army, then realize you never can. The war follows you. The war reminds you that it managed to control your soul. It continues to cling, gripping you.

-Matthew Murphy, The Night - 



Thanks again, Matthew Murphy, for the review copy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment