Sunday, May 19, 2019

Be A Better You by Inte and Chiara Alfonso | A Book Review

Be A Better You by Inte and Chiara Alfonso | A Book Review by iamntoabookworm!


It's been a while since my last post. April had been a very busy month both at work and in my personal life. I went to South Korea. It's been a while also since the last time I got to travel abroad. I'd say, it's one of the most memorable trips ever. There were a  lot of things I got to do and experiences that are bound to help me face whatever challenges ahead. The best thing is I got to be the best version of myself again. 

Be a Better You is a book I won in Goodreads. It 's a self-help book in finding yourself, being a better version of yourself and how to be just better in whatever aspect of your life. The things written here are not new. I'm sure, you've heard and read them already but what's different is it's given in small and very practical doses. No lengthy explanations or examples, plus really really cool artworks for each nugget of wisdom. 

I think the most important nugget of wisdom that I want to share from the book is about loving one's self. I know I don't think I love myself enough. I have to remind myself that putting myself first is not wrong and loving myself is not being selfish. I think the author also agrees that this is the most important thing because he put it in the very first part of the book. It's first and foremost and above all else, because if you love yourself, then you are secure and confident in everything you do. You're sure of yourself that you don't have to feel jealous or envious of others' success or fortune. You'll feel happy for them instead. I say that I don't love myself enough because I have self-esteem issues. I grew up so shy and so unsure of myself. Being bullied didn't help too. I felt like I was an easy target for ridicule and insults. I don't know why. I mostly keep to myself. I have friends but only later in life did I really get to understand what real friends are. Real friends make you feel better about yourself. They help you be better and accept you no matter who you are. There are no conditions. They love you for all the good and the faults and through the happy days and the difficult ones. That's why, I don't exactly spend much on material things but rather on experiences. I wanted to be enriched by traveling and meeting new people. Reading helps a lot too. Clothes and jewelry does not make a person but kindness, humility, integrity and respect for others do. So, here is the quote:


Therefore the most important thing about love is that you love yourself. Why is it important to love yourself, because once you love yourself you know what love is and then you know how to love others. 



To love yourself is to learn to be happy with yourself and let the inner energy within yourself shine and radiate out. 

Like the above quote says, if you are happy, you mostly likely want people around you to be happy. Misery loves company. If you are miserable, almost often, you would want people around you to be miserable as well. Most of the time, more miserable than you are. That's why some people would try so hard to pull people down with them because they are so unhappy. Seeing people happy is an eyesore to them.

Be a Better You is a very concise and easy to read book. It's very handy and very practical. It doesn't talk of very technical concepts. It is a very good guide to living everyday life and how to be a better person each day. Lastly, I do agree with what the author says about having things to live by, mainly principles to follow. This is very basic and as you try to follow each principle everyday, it will be so ingrained in you that it would be second-nature. 

So, with that said, I give this book 3.5 paper cranes. Why paper cranes? Because the cover is that of an origami crane. I know of a story wherein if you make a thousand paper cranes, whatever you wish for will come true. I think this story also symbolizes what this book stands for. That if you practice to be better everyday, then nothing is going to stop you from achieving your goals, reaching your dreams and be the best of what you can be. No one becomes a champion overnight. Constant practice is the key. Practice makes perfect. Everything good and fulfilling comes with hard work.






Thanks again, Inte and Chiara Alfonso and Goodreads for the book.  




No comments:

Post a Comment