Monday, May 7, 2018

The Glowing Sands (Sons of the Sand #3) Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review

The Glowing Sands (Sons of the Sand #3) Kimberly Loth | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I just found the tv series The Good Doctor and have binge watched it. Now, I'm caught up. I found that the series is an adaptation of the original Korean series. It's about a guy who has autism but at the same time is also savant. He has a photographic memory and is very functional that he actually became a doctor. Dr. Shaun Murphy is a very fascinating character. He has navigated his condition and is actually a smart doctor who has effectively proven that he can be more successful than most doctors who are normal. The series hits a close mark with me because I have a nephew who has mild autism. He's very functional and is actually almost normal now after a year in therapy and the dedicated support from my sister, his mom. My fervent hope is he will grew up to be really good in whatever career or field he chooses, just like Dr. Shaun Murphy who has proven everyone wrong that there's no way he can be a really good doctor. Dr. Murphy actually exceeded everyone's expectations.

The book I'm reviewing today is the third of the Sons of the Sand series. I have read books 1 and 2, so I'm very much attuned to the progress of the story. 

I actually thought that this might be the last book in the series. I should have known by now that with Kimberly Loth, no story ends with the third book. It has always been a fourth or a fifth one. With that knowledge, I should not have been surprised that this book ended again with a cliffhanger. It's a trademark of Miss Loth but I was still none-the-wiser. It still surprised me and I think she will always will. She never fails to come up with very interesting and unexpected twists to her stories. Even I, who is very familiar with her stories is still caught off guard every time. And I so love it.

So, in this installment, a new set of characters are introduced--the goddesses. And so is Liv. She is thrown into the midst of these goddesses, which she thought were just myth. She learned a lot about them and also the reason for their existence and for hiding. Liv also learned a lot about herself and the secret of her grandma. What's more fascinating is learning about her special abilities which definitely puts her above the rest of the goddesses and the goddesses-in-training.

I think this story was too short. I think I needed more. I wanted more to happen. The story just centered on the place where Liv is currently and where the goddesses are. Though, in a way, it gives the readers a better understanding of the relationship between the goddesses and the genies. It somehow explained everything and circles back to how the story started. But still, as to how the story will progress and how this will wrap up, I still have no idea. Anything can still happen and I would definitely want to be shocked and surprised as to how Liv and Gabe will end up.

I give this book 4/5 vintage rings. As I said, I felt like there should be more happening in this story. It felt short for me, but looking at it from Liv's point of view, a lot is happening. Especially, with her finding out more about her mom and her grandma and her abilities. I have no idea how this story will end up because it could go a number of ways. How this book ended presents a lot of possibilities which I am just so excited about. Now, I think with Liv's newfound abilities, it just levels the playing field. Or more likely gives her an advantage over Samir. Now, she's not a defenseless girl but rather a very formidable opponent. I would like to see Samir's face when he finds out what Liv can do. I know he will definitely prefer to hide in a bottle forever. 




Maybe this was love. Letting go when you desperately wanted to hang on.
- Kimberly Loth, The Glowing Sands - 


Thank you again, Kimberly Loth for the ARC.


Other books in the series:
The Smoking Lamp (Sons of the Sand #1)

The Blazing Glass (Sons of the Sand #2) 

The Exploding Sky (Sons of the Sand #4)




No comments:

Post a Comment