Monday, September 5, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs

My sis was the one who pointed out the book Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children to me and that it has been made into a movie.

The word peculiar is calling to me like a beacon so I decided to read the book. And my first impression - welcome to Ripley's, Believe it or not? Welcome to the world of the bizarre. You'll end asking yourself - is this for real?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs book reviewJust like Jacob in the book, I was in disbelief over his grandpa's stories. I thought they were exaggerated bed-time stories. Where they get more incredible and impossible each time they are re-told. And just like Jacob, I thought the pictures were photo shopped too. Well, these days, everything can be photo shopped. But when I got to the part where Jacob went to the island and found the crumbling house, I was disappointed. I wanted to know too if this was all true or not. And I was in for a surprise. Thankfully, I continued reading after feeling let down. And I was rewarded.

I am looking forward to read the next books and what will happen in Jacob's next adventures with the peculiar children. But my curiosity is still not appeased. I am still reeling and debating if the pictures were real. If the children really did exist or this is just another fiction, and with help of the author's magic has successfully turned into an almost believable true accounts of events.

I really enjoyed the book. This may appear like a children's book but I think kids should be accompanied by adults when they read this. Yes, I deem that parental guidance is advised. The pictures alone were enough to raise my hair and give me goosebumps. I didn't look at them for long. Them being in black and white also added to the eeriness. The children's descriptions alone were enough for the hair on my arms to stand on end.

I give the book four flying peregrines. Very curious and it is getting curious-er. I hope the next book will be as bizarre and full of adventures. I can't wait to join Jacob in his next undertaking.





No comments:

Post a Comment