Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Bulletproof Boy (Sophie Shields #2) by Loretta Lost | A Book Review

The Bulletproof Boy (Sophie Shields #2) by Loretta Lost | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

The Bulletproof Boy 
by Loretta Lost 
(Sophie Shields, #2) 

Publication date: November 1st 2016
Genres: Mystery, New Adult, Romance


At twenty-seven, Sophie Shields is given the opportunity to meet her biological family for the first time. But with one ex-foster father murdered, and Benjamin Powell stalking her, she is hesitant to build more family connections. Sophie considers hiding out in a remote desert location with the person she loves most, just until the danger passes; but an innocent woman has been killed in L.A. by the same monster who shot her brother. She feels compelled to help Detective Rodriguez and bring justice to Cole.



Meanwhile, in Washington D.C., Sophie’s job at the CIA waits for her, and her ex-boyfriend Zack is begging her to return home. For the first time, Sophie is feeling torn between her separate lives and identities. But when Benjamin starts becoming more aggressive in his attempts to find her, no identity or location might be safe any longer…
——

All Cole ever wanted was to be a successful architect, with Sophie at his side. But life always seems to get in the way of their happiness, and he has been patient for over a decade. Now, after a recent brush with death, Cole is done waiting. He will go to great lengths to show Sophie that nothing else matters but their future, and he will not allow her to run away again…




I have been looking for this book for sometime. Right after I read The Fireproof Girl, the one before this, I promised myself I will have to get my hands on the next book. Thanks to Giselle of Xpressobooktours, she had this available for review. I think I will hate myself if I am not able to read this book and continue the story of Sophie and Cole.

Book 1 -- The Fireproof Girl ended with a suffocating cliffhanger. It was apparent that I needed to read The Bulletproof Boy as if my life depended on it. It was air to my oxygen-deprived lungs. 

Loretta Lost is one exceptionally gifted writer. I think she writes as easily as she breathes. This second installment turned out way better than I expected. The intensity was fully turned up. I was so over the moon for the way this book turned out.  I was happy that finally Sophie and Cole worked out their issues and decided to stick together. To stay glued to each other no matter what happens. To never let each other out of sight again. 

Details of Sophie's past and origin have been discovered and I was as thrilled and nervous as her of finally meeting her blood relations. I can't wait to find out what was the harrowing story behind her being left at the side of the highway. There was also a flashback on what happened to Cole right after the fire in The Fireproof Girl. It provided a better understanding of the difficult and painful lives these two had. It also proved that together these two were resourceful beyond imagination and unbeatable. And that they had too many people that had it against them and are viciously out for revenge. Will these two ever have a peaceful, happy and carefree life? 

The story as a whole had a lot of things going really well for Sophie and Cole though before they got there, they had to endure excruciating physical, mental and emotional pain. Sophie had to bring in her tougher and meaner persona to be able to survive and live through all the heartaches. And Cole had to go back on his words and to civilization so he could protect his dear Sophie. From being two orphans and foster home kids, they have made a successful career for themselves. They have shed their fears and have resolved a lot of issues between them. Now, they are ready to face all their demons as long as they have each other.

I give the book 5/5 red sexy high-heeled stilettos. I lot of things have been revealed about Sophie and Cole which added to the intensity of the story. They were totally so unexpected but were the best parts. My only concern was the ending. I wanted to slap Sophie. It was so dumb and so not her to have ended that way. Where was the martial arts training Levi had taught her? It was time she put them to real use but she made a wrong move. I totally did not approve of this version of Sophie. This was the worse place and time for her to act out of character. The cliffhanger ending was so out of the left field that I totally could not believe that it was happening. Like Sophie, I am hoping that her knight and the rest of her family will come to her rescue. I hated the ending but it just made the next book all the more not-to-be-missed. I think I will definitely lose it if I don't get to read it. Please Giselle, make sure to have The Shatterproof Heart on your for review list.


I am definitely not going to have a good sleep until I read the next book --The Shatterproof Heart. I think the pressure has built up and it's about to go over the rim and reach the boiling point. Gosh, I can't wait to find what explosive and heart-stopping events Loretta Lost has hidden in her crazy, twisted and talented mind of hers for the next book. I am absolutely psyched. The lookout for The Shatterproof Heart starts now. I hope it's not the last book yet. In as much as I hate these two beautiful creatures to continue suffering, but I also don't want their story to end. No, these two had to continue! Though maybe, less of the living-dangerously-thing and being bullied. Maybe, these two can show how ruthless a lifetime's worth of payback is. 

I think after The Shatterproof Heart, Loretta Lost is definitely joining my favorite authors' list. Congratulations! You are undoubtedly a keeper.

Life is a constant, backbreaking struggle. Real, worthwhile relationships require effort, and true love feels like you're in a scene from Ben-Hur, rowing madly in a slave ship, rowing your heart out to stay alive.
- Loretta Lost, The Bulletproof Boy - 



Thanks again, Loretta Lost and Giselle of Xpressobooktours for the review copy.



Other Books by Loretta Lost:

No comments:

Post a Comment