Friday, September 8, 2017

Releasing the Demons (The Order of the Senary #1) by L. D. Rose | A Book Review

Releasing the Demons (The Order of the Senary #1) by L. D. Rose | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

The author contacted me in February last year through the contact us link on my blog asking if I wanted to read and review the second book of this series. She also asked if I wanted to read the first book which is this one. And I said yes to both. 

I read this in June. I do admit it had taken me quite a long time to get to this book. You can't blame me if my TBR pile has been filing up. Books to be read just kept on coming. Thank the book gods for that. Anyway, hope this review will make up for the long wait it had taken.

This is a story about hybrid vampires in a dystopian future where the world is no longer as we see it now. New York, my most favorite city in the world (one of the reasons why I agreed to review this series), lays in ruins. Vampires are feasting on humans and it's up to these hybrid vampires to curtail their growing number that is sucking the life out of the city.

The badass hybrid vampire who is the center of attention in this story is Blaze Knight. He is one of the genetically-engineered vampires that have special abilities or powers. His is fire. He is a pyro. He can summon fire at will and he can see in infrared. His name perfectly fits him. Blaze path crosses with NYPD Detective Valerie Medeiros, who brought him in for suspected murder. Will Blaze prove his innocence and convince the wary and distrustful detective?

I know, New York is often the favorite subject of doomsday movies, even dystopians. What made this book different is its characters. Yes, granted this is not the first vampire story ever written, many have come before this but I assure you, this is a refreshing take on the vampire genre. Believe me, after Twilight, I thought no one could ever make vampire stories any better or interesting but I have been proven wrong. I have come across another author who mixed vampires with Norse mythology and I was just so happy and elated that I was short of shouting Hallelujah for my relief. Then, this series came. This is totally badass and kickass. Pardon, about the asses but I am not kidding. This story can definitely hold its own. 

Did I say, kickass? (Here goes the ass again.) This is an action-packed story. With fight scenes, chases, tortures and the works. Yes, blood is spilled all throughout the story and seeing red can't be helped since we are talking about vampires here. Both hybrid and not. Aside from Blaze, you will also meet the rest of the Knight Brothers. Yes, he has brothers and they all have their own special powers. I don't think I have ever felt bored or sleepy reading this. In fact, I was constantly on the edge (of my seat if I were sitting). I was lying in bed while reading this, if you wanted to know. Anyway, it felt like I was part of the Knight crew and I felt the anticipation, tension and the danger every time the brothers go out and hunt vampires. I was always hoping none of them will ever get hurt so bad and die. 

There is romance here too. As it turned out, Blaze and Valerie will come to an agreement to help each other and find the real culprit for the murder Blaze was accused of. Blaze will find an overwhelming attachment and unrelenting protectiveness towards Valerie. As most people do who work closely with each other, these two will also find themselves drawn to each other irresistibly.

I give this book 5/5 infrared googles. I am again thrilled to find that vampire stories did not end with Edward Cullen of Twilight. Hybrid vampires with supernatural abilities are swoon-worthy too. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series. Thanks again, LD Rose for offering to let me read this series. I am so happy you have found me and gave me the opportunity to meet these fascinating characters of yours. I hope you forgive me for this review that took ages to come out. And I am not only saying this because I want to appease you but I did genuinely enjoy this series. I definitely did not aim to please but you did please me greatly. Review of Black Bullet is coming up, very shortly.:)



If you can't give a man a woman, give him a fancy car and he'll be happier than a pig in shit.
- L. D. Rose, Releasing the Demons -  




Other books in the series:

Black Bullet (Order of the Senary #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment