Monday, September 25, 2017

Nemesis (Project Nemesis #1) by Brendan Reichs | A Book Review

Nemesis (Project Nemesis #1) by Brendan Reichs | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I won this book through the YASH (Young Adult Scavenger Hunt) Spring 2017. This book came out March of this year. It's also my first time to read a book by Brendan Reichs.

Having the hardbound book in my hand was a bit intimidating. The book is huge and it's thick. It's been a while since I last touched a hardbound book like this. I have become more accustomed to paperbacks and ebooks. I decided, I will start reading it once I am ready for it. I won't start unless I can't give my heart and mind fully into it because by the way this looked, this requires concentration. I can't take this book lightly and guess what? I was right with my initial assessment. I judged the book by its cover and I totally nailed it.

At first, it was disconcerting or confusing finding that the one of the main characters--Min, kept dying every two years and then later wakes up in the middle of the forest. Yes, I did ask what's going on? What kind of phenomenon is this? Thankfully, it was answered but on the later part of the book. 

Do I feel like the story was dragged out? Honestly, a little! I felt like I don't need to read some of the parts but when I reached the part where things were revealed and my questions were answered, I realized the pages I thought that were unnecessary actually helped explained the answers to my questions about the story. Yes, the first few parts could be a little boring. I actually had to stop and read something else and then came back to this after I finished that other story which was a lot shorter than this one. I think the best part of the story was in the last few chapters where everything made sense. Finally! The wondering and the mystery was over. 

Each chapter which I first thought were not so important just added to the mystery of the story. If you don't have the patience to push on and finish the story, you will likely end up hating this because as I said, the best is yet to come. The best lies in the last parts and it would definitely blow you off your seat. This is absolutely a story I have not heard of before. The plot had me asking questions even to the point of irritation but my patience was later on rewarded as the story wrapped up and told me anything I need to know.

I am still unsure if I liked the story but the fact that it piqued and stroke my curiosity, is totally a point for the author. And yes, the title kept me wondering too. How it relates to the whole story? That was answered too. I give this book 3.5/5 asteroids. And I would definitely like to read the next book. The mystery baffled me enough that I would want to know if the author can keep that throughout the series. I also want to know if the next book would make me decide if the series is worth following or not. 


This time, I was going to fight for what I believed in, no matter the consequences. I was going to do something. I just didn't have any idea what.
- Brendan Reichs, Nemesis - 


Thank you again, Brendan Reichs for the copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment