Monday, October 9, 2017

Deep Waters by Alicia Rades | ARC | A Book Review

Deep Waters by Alicia Rades | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

This is the second book by Alicia Rades that I read. The first one was Fire in Frost. I was supposed to also write a review on it but unfortunately, I had the incorrect picture. I had to take another photo. So, the review will have to wait a little longer.

I was right on my impression that this book is about mermaids. Yes, it is. This is about the town of Sea Haven where its inhabitants are not allowed to leave the boundaries. The residents of Sea Haven are descendants of powerful mermaids and to keep their powers and secrets from the outside world, they are to remain in the town for their protection. Until, Bree Waters saw something she was not supposed to see and was banished to a college in Michigan.

The story centers around Bree and her quest to unravel the secrets of her hometown. Why was she sent outside of Sea Haven when no one is allowed to leave it? Why are her powers taken? She had a lot of questions and it seems that even her dad is not answering them. She resolved that she will find a way to get back her powers and then leave Sea Haven as it no longer is home for her. The person she trusted most, her Dad, betrayed her. She would be better off somewhere else.

It was very gutsy of Bree to seek the help of Noah. I think desperation was making her brave. What have she got to lose? Oh, she lost it all already, so what the hell, right? Off she went and fortunately, Noah agreed to help her cause. They also recruited the help of Bree's best friend Liana. They succeeded to get their powers back only to find that they can't leave the town anymore with it. Ah, what a bummer! What to do now?

It seemed like Bree gets into another problem right after she solved one. Will it ever end? More questions keep popping up. In the end, it was all revealed why. It seemed like what she had to go through, she didn't need to at all.  If only everything was explained to her. The best about everything is that she doesn't need to leave anymore and she found a new friend in Noah. 

I give this book 3/5 bottle necklaces. I think the story was a bit short. I wanted it to be longer. Good thing the ending was neat and all the questions were answered. Nothing was left hanging. 



I'd never though I'd lose my magic. I always thought of it as a constant, as something I'd always have, like my heartbeat or my thoughts.
- Alicia Rades, Deep Waters - 




No comments:

Post a Comment