Saturday, October 14, 2017

Eye on the Prize by Dmytro Holmes | A Book Review

Eye on the Prize by Demytro Holmes | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I got this review request from the author last February. It took quite a while for me to get on this book. I remember, at some point, I had this lined up on my TBR but I lost my tracking worksheet when the laptop crashed. This somehow got lost in the never-ending TBR pile. Last week, I checked my list which I wrote after the unfortunate laptop crash and realized I still haven't gotten to this. Finally, here it is. I am really sorry, Demytro Holmes for the delay.

This book is about a boxer. This reminds me of course, of no other than, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao. As it turned out, the author was a former boxer and this fictional story seemed to have been inspired from his first-hand experience as a boxer. So, I was very fascinated when I found out how this story came about. Even more so, when I found that the author is a cancer survivor. He knocked out cancer just like the main character here in this story, Mikai, who knocked out his demons and fought hard for his dreams.

The title perfectly fits the message of the story. Eye on the prize! I often hear this phrase associated or often given as a piece of advice to all those who are working on achieving something--like athletes, or a guy trying to woe a girl for a long time, or any other goal. Eye on the prize! Focus! No distractions! No goal is too far if you keep your eye on the prize and work hard on it, everyday. This I think is the mantra for most athletes to get that coveted gold medal. 

Like all success stories, Mikai, became a champion boxer by keeping his eye on the prize. Unfortunately, like all stories, it was not as easy as it sound. Along the way, he lost his focus, was distracted mentally and emotionally and lost his way. His discipline wavered and trusted the wrong people. And like every other successful person, what saved him was his mentor and father-figure who never gave up on him. Without him, Mikai would have surely never reached his dream and would be probably six feet under or forever be under the claws of a mob boss.

This is my first time to read a story about a boxer and more so, written by a boxer himself. The story resonates with a lot of personal experiences of the author. I can clearly hear and taste the raw emotions of the hardships the characters of Mikai, Joe and Caitlyn had to go through. The story does not only talk about the rigors of training to become a professional and champion boxer but also about the personal demons of the characters. This talks about bullying, of domestic violence, of running around with the wrong people and trusting the wrong people to save you. We often hear of best friends betraying each other. This story has that also. 

This isn't an easy story to read because it talked of very painful subjects and experiences which are very common and real. In some way, you will find yourself relating to one or many of the characters experiences. At some point, you have been in their shoes and going through the same ridicule and battle. 

The best thing about the book is the straight and raw stating of the events like they were happening as of the moment. I can feel that it was written as honestly as possible without embellishment. For the most part, I felt so sorry for Mikai. And I for one, could definitely personally relate to his experiences. This story, in brief, tells us to be meaner than our demons. 

I give this book 4/5 pairs of boxing gloves. I love stories about underdogs and bullied people rising up. As I said, I can relate to Mikai's character because I too was bullied. I can't wait for the next book where Mikai and his childhood bully would meet in the ring. I am sure his bully won't know what's coming for him. I would like to see his face getting reduced to pulp by Mikai's punches. Then, remind him of boy with the glasses he used to torment.


This is a painful story but inspiring as well. We all could use Mikai's experience as an example that not all is lost. Whatever battles and problems we are dealing, with enough will-power and unfailing support from our family and friends, we can defeat all demons and throw away all baggages that have been weighing us down for the longest time. This story is also proof that even the most disciplined people like athletes, fall off the wagon and succumb to temptations. After all, we are just human but even so, we can tap into that resilience and will-power hidden within the depths of our being, to punch and kick all the demons that forever want to keep us down.

All of us have made choices at one time or another that left a bad taste in our mouths but we do what we have to do.
- Dmytro Holmes, Eye on the Prize -  




No comments:

Post a Comment