Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Heir to the Lamp (The Genie Chronicles #1) by Michelle Lowery Combs | A Book Review

Heir to the Lamp (The Genie Chronicles #1) by Michelle Lowery Combs | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I have just finished this story about two days ago. This is one of those great stories that I was fortunate to came upon. I found this through World Weaver Press' newsletter. After reading the blurb, my curiosity was piqued so I signed up to review this book. They sent me the first two books in the series. Thank you!

Obviously, as suggested by the title, this is about genies or djinns. Aside from the very popular Disney's Alladin, I have only read one other book about djinns (Stone Bearers by Jacque Stevens). It was a good story too. Having not read a lot of books with the same topic just added fuel to my interest. What kind of genie story this could be?

The story is similar in a way to the story I have mentioned earlier. The main character is the also a girl and there is a genie in the story. Both stories have young heroines that are out to find and prove themselves. And this is where I draw the line separating the two stories. There could be a lot of ways in which they are different. Heir to the lamp is more current in its setting and characters. It also tends to be hilarious since it never failed to paint a smile on my face because of its sometimes annoying yet cute characters. Just like I am, you will find you can't decide if the Terrible Twosome are too cute and smart or just plain little devils. You will definitely wish that the Lawsons were your neighbors.

Again, this is a story of a thirteen-year old finding her roots only it was so freaking unbelievable and awesome. Unbelievable like crazy. Are-you-for-real-kind-of-crazy. The main character Ginn or Virginia was just finding out about her biological parents and her origins alongside just becoming a teenager with its perks and downside. Knowing about where she came from made her appreciate more the blessing of what a great adoptive family she has, even though they are loud and chaotic most of the time. She never lacked for love and support from them, even from the Terrible Twosome.

The story transported me to a marvelous adventure. There were no carpet rides but it was amazing none-the-less. This felt like a story within a story with all the other fictional and mythical characters and creatures being introduced. Turning the Grimm Brothers into the bad guys was not really unheard of but it was novel enough to me. One thing is for sure, I like this genie story and I can't wait to get on to the next book.

I give this 5/5 genie lamps. This magical journey is both entertaining and addicting. I can't help but dive into the next book because my curiosity got the best of me. I am so happy I found this book or more appropriately, this book found me. Thank you again, World Weaver Press for the copy. 



I keep my size-four figure safely enclosed in a generous layer of bubble-wrap. It's the only reason I'm wearing a size twelve.
- Michelle Lowery Combs, Heir to the Lamp -



The next book in the series:

Solomon's Bell (The Genie Chronicles #2)



No comments:

Post a Comment