Monday, May 8, 2017

Ballad of the Beanstalk by Amy McNulty | ARC | A Book Review

Ballad of the Beanstalk by Amy McNulty | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

This is another fairy tale retelling and I loved this very much. This was my first time to read an Amy McNulty story and I was so happy to have signed up for this book. Thanks again, Amy McNulty for the ARC. This is actually a prequel to Jack and the Beanstalk that reveals the story behind the magical singing harp.

This is one of the best retellings I have ever read. I was really dazzled and bewitched by the story. I want more. I hope there is a sequel. I usually give my ratings at the end of each review but for this one, I am telling you now that it is a 5/5 bowls of five different kinds of beans. Just fitting because the story did mention different color of beans. 


Since, I had a great time reading this book, let me tell you the best parts about it. The twists in the story were so unexpected. I liked how they were played out. The main character, Clarion, a poor but gifted harp player, found herself in a very tricky love triangle between her best friend and a dashing son of a lord. The story centers upon these three characters' entwined lives. Clarion's climbing the beanstalk will lead to the most interesting and astounding events in her boring life. She will discover a world right just above her own. She will meet curious characters that will become dear to her and will do anything to help them. This is an adventure of a lifetime for Clarion. I, too find her adventure very fascinating.

The reason why I liked this because of the unpredictability of the events in the story. They were so well-written that most of the time, I didn't know what was going to happen next. Yes, this is not a happy-ever-after story. The love triangle was not really resolved. The very surprising ending was not really what I liked either but the fact that it hinted that the story was not over yet and there are more to come is what made me happy. The promise of more was what made my day. I want to know more. I want to know what happens to Clarion, Mack and Elena. And who was that new character that was introduced into the story right before the story ended? I am curious as to how everything will play out. What other twists will the author add?

I have another book of Amy McNulty but have not gotten to read it yet. After this book, I am curious to read her other stories. I have read other reviewers saying her other works are really good also. Nice meeting you Miss McNulty and I am looking forward to reading the rest of your stories.
All the best things in this life will cause you some pain. But they're worth it. So long as you never give up because the pain seems frightening.
- Amy McNulty, The Ballad of the Beanstalk -  


No comments:

Post a Comment