Thursday, May 18, 2017

The Narragansett Files by Robert Shemeld | A Book Review

The Narragasett Files by Robert Schemeld | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm

This felt like a Clive Cussler story. There were a lot of things in this book that were also found in a Clive Cussler story. The suspense, the mission-impossible task, the main character's love for boats and the ocean, an ex-marine, a threat to the US and the clever ways to outwit the enemy. Wow! I wonder if Robert Shemeld is friends with Clive Cussler. Their stories are alike in a lot of ways but also very different. One very obvious difference is that the main character is not working for the government. He is a private citizen. A businessman. 

The reason why this story felt like a Cussler is because the intensity and the level of the suspense and excitement is the same feeling I feel every time I am on a Cussler adventure. The writing is also very good. There is no telling what is going to happen next. And since I am a big fan of Cussler, it's always a good thing to find another author that is into the same genre and with the same impeccable talent. I am so glad I signed up for this book through Netgalley. Told you, I have a talent of picking really talented authors just by the book's title and blurb. Most of the time, those catchy and sometimes obscure titles are really great stories. I am always happy to be surprised and blown. All the time.

This story definitely could hold its own. This is my first time to read of this author yet I am so impressed and would want to read more of his stories. Shemeld has a good chance of ending on my favorite authors' list. This story alone has me hooked, line and sinker. I ate it all. The story was fast-paced but it wasn't hard to keep up. It was narrated with extreme clarity. There was no mistaking who was what and everything. Very well done! This absolutely deserves 5/5 USB flash drives. I wonder why I never heard of Robert Shemeld before?



One of the things about this author that stood out for me is his ability to include some trivia and very important tidbits of information about a fact that was mentioned just in passing in the story. Some examples of these trivia are the rooms in the White House like the Green Room, about guns like the AK-47, the Colt and the Kalashnikov. I also liked that the main character, whose name was never mentioned in the whole story, has a penchant for using unique words like atwitter, fortnight and purloined. This is one distinguishing characteristic of his. The main character, who is also the narrator of this tale, Liz' husband, was never named. I had to scan the book once again to double check but he never ever gave out his name. It seemed that when introductions are happening, Liz' husband is almost always already known by the other party. So oftentimes, the other party was introduced but his name never came up in any of the conversations. This is the first time that I have really enjoyed the story yet never gotten to know the name of the hero. The author has done a very good job because even nameless, his character is very unforgettable.

I am looking forward to more adventures of Liz and his husband. What other sticky and deadly situations are they going to be forced to handle and how will he (the husband) cleverly get out of them alive?

Thanks again, Netgalley for the copy.

Warfare is born of ruthless opportunism, [one must] paralyze and confound [the enemy] by quickly and aggressively exploiting his vulnerabilities and strike him in a way that will hurt him most. In short, strike your enemy with such ferocity and lethality that he is dead before he even knows you're on the field of battle.
- Robert Shemeld, The Narragansett Files - 




No comments:

Post a Comment