Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Last Princess (Islands of the Crown #2) by Jewel Allen | A Book Review

The Last Princess (Islands of the Crown #2) by Jewel Allen | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


This is the sequel to the Spanish Exile. From the last book, Capt. Raul Calderon was exiled to Manila but with a very special assignment from the King. If he succeeded, he will be welcomed back to Spain with open arms. His transgressions will be forgotten.

Unfortunately, Capt. Calderon got captured by the natives who are slave raiders and was presented to the Last Princess, who had a reputation of torturing and beheading those who trespass her beloved islands. Juliza Alimuddin was curious of the spaniard and she nursed him back to health, even against her allies wishes. 

I have been looking for stories about the Philippines written by contemporary authors. My country is rich with stories, legends, myths, folklores and so on. I wonder why not a lot of modern writers wanted to tackle those kind of stories. If I wanted to write a book, I would definitely write about the rich culture and stories of my people. Whether they'd be historical ones, retellings of popular legends and myths, or talk about the supernatural experiences and superstitions of my people. A whole lot of subjects and area is available and I think there are research materials available too. I would want to share a part of my culture and the richness of its history to the world. Looking at it may be a daunting task but if anyone could pull it off, I think the rewards would be as amazing.

So, it was just a surprise and a joy for me to find this series. Thank you ebooksforreview.com for featuring Jewel Allen's books. I would not have meet this author who I share a heritage with as she is part Filipino. I am so proud to have found her works and be reminded how rich the Filipino culture is and the world needs to know that.

Reading this book brought a kind of pride that only could come from being a part of a heritage and culture that had been mixed and influenced by cultures from around the world. Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Malay, American and so on. These have added to the richness and color of what the modern Filipino is today. I hope that Miss Allen will continue to write the same genre and explore more aspects of her heritage and culture of our country. I also hope that more authors would follow suit and share in the endeavor. I share that dream too.

The Last Princess, features a colorful and descriptive encounter between a spaniard and a native of Gurian. In spite of the differences in culture, language and customs, Juliza and Capt. Calderon found a common ground and these two developed a friendship and love beyond their differences. The scenic backdrop of Gurian island and Zamboanga and the host of other interesting characters, in an era where a few remaining islands in the archipelago tried to steadfastly hold on to its roots and refuse to succumb to the foreign influence. This is such an insightful read and it showcased just how abundant and interesting these 7,107 islands of this country is. 

I give this book 4/5 colorful vintas. Thank you Miss Allen for this very intriguing and colorful series. I am looking forward to more of the same stories about the Philippines from you. Hopefully, you'll find more interesting subjects about our culture to coin stories from, whether they'd be a personal journey for you or just out of curiosity of your roots and heritage. And I am calling on all the other authors, especially those with Filipino blood and descent, I think it's time we hear more stories about our rich culture and share it to the whole world. 




Perhaps I've fallen in love with a myth too, like the rest of the fools.
- Jewel Allen, The Last Princess - 



Other books in the series:The Spanish Exile (Islands of the Crown #1)




No comments:

Post a Comment