Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Sweet Sacrifice (The Soul Mate Tree) by L. D. Rose | ARC | A Book Review

Sweet Sacrifice (The Soul Mate Tree) by L. D. Rose | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I read this last month. I have been unable to post any reviews for the past two weeks because I was feeling so down. To be honest, I have been feeling out of sorts for quite a while, I think, maybe for years. I just didn't realize it. It slowly built up through the years, slowly creeping on me. This same emotion is just very relevant to this story. Not that someone very close died. I just feel so broken.

The story...After reviewing two of the author's books, she asked me if I wanted to read another one of her stories. When she mentioned angels, I readily agreed.

Irene, is still mourning her husband's death after two years. Former Navy Seal Sebastian Lockhard died in Afghanistan when he leaped onto a grenade to save his comrades. To Irene, the lost and grief are still very alive and fresh. It seemed like it was just yesterday. The pain, sorrow and emptiness are still excruciatingly oozing out of her. It seemed like it will never end. Until, Bash suddenly appears to her. Has she truly gone mad with grief that her mind has finally reach its breaking point?

This is a story of angels, guardian angels, of archangels and the unending war between good and evil. This is also a story of undying love. Love that encompasses death. I love stories about angels. I have always been fascinated by these heavenly beings. I believe in guardian angels. I think there had been a lot of times where I truly felt that I have been under the protection of these beings. They have always been a very curious subject for me. Way back in college, I remember borrowing a few books about them and collecting those cute angel figurines. I even named one of my nephews, Uriel, from one of the archangels.

The story centers on Bash and Irene-- on Bash's life after death. How he came to become one of the archangels and his assignment as a soldier for heaven. His selfless sacrifice as a soldier earned him the honor to become one of God's elite army to maintain balance between good and evil. Bash gladly accepted the new life given to him but he still can't forget the love of his life. His undying love for his wife proved to be a more powerful force than any he has to face. Seeing his wife still tormented by his sudden death is crushing his heart to pieces. He just can't continue to stand and just watch his wife slowly and painstakingly consumed by grief and slowly losing her ardor for life.

The story is very heartbreaking but it ended with redemption and undying love. This story proved that love still rules above everything else. It also speaks of second chances. A chance to continue the life of service to humanity again and a chance to be with the person you love. The story posed a choice between these two things. In the end, love for that other person, the other half of your life, far exceeds the love for service and other things. I love how the story ended and what Bash chose. After all, isn't it what God's love is--unconditional love?

I give this book 4/5 pairs of angel's wings. The story is overflowing with raw and painful emotions. It's as if, I too felt the deep and the harrowing grief and loss that Irene felt. I can feel Bash's longing for Irene. Bash's confusion and doubt over choosing between being God's soldier or to reunite with the love of his life. It is indeed a sweet sacrifice to give up everything, just to be with the person who means more than life, itself.




Like a runaway train without brakes, Irene raced along the tracks of life on the verge of derailment. All she needed was the right push and it was all over.
- L. D. Rose, Sweet Sacrifice - 



Thank you, L. D. Rose for the ARC.


Other books by the same author:
Releasing the Demons (Order of the Senary #1)

Black Bullet (Order of the Senary #2)   



No comments:

Post a Comment