Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Charm (A Cinderella Reverse Fairytale) (Reverse Fairytales #1) by J. A. Armitage | ARC | A Book Review


Charm (A Cinderella Reverse Fairytale) (Reverse Fairytales #1) by J. A. Armitage | ARC | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!

I am also a member of J. A. Armitage's Facebook Group. I also get ARC's of her new books. I read this last month but was unable to post a review right away. This is another retelling of my favorite fairytale of all time--Cinderella. 

What kind of Cinderella story is this one? And what separates this from the other retellings done before? Well, this is totally different because it is a reverse-Cinderella story. Instead of Cinderella orphaned and left to the care of her step-mother and bullied and oppressed by her step-sisters, this Cinderella is a he. Yes, he is not some helpless damsel just waiting to be saved. Cynder instead is a kitchen servant and is attracted to the princess--Princess Charmaine.

I felt like the story is more focused on Princess Charmaine instead of Cynder. And I like it. Again, this retelling worked for me because it kept the spotlight on the heroine of the story which is the princess. I don't mind that Cynder is relegated to being a supporting role, though the love story would definitely not work without him. Just like in the original story of Cinderella, it narrated the story of Cinderella and less of the prince and as I have said, I liked that this one stayed on that track. This is a story of a girl.

So, this is a story of a princess who had to step in her dead sister's shoes to produce an heir for the kingdom. She had to choose from a line up of royalty, rich and honorable gentlemen to marry. But as the heart would have it, she falls in love with one who was never going to be in the list--a servant who washes dishes in the palace kitchen. And if that's not problem enough, an impending war is about to break out and threatens to throw the whole kingdom into chaos. Worst of all, Cynder, is found to be in the middle of all these things. Will this story have a happy ending?

This is probably the most suspenseful Cinderella story I have ever read. It's packed with action, politics and intrigue that added more color and spice to this retelling. I can't say this is the best retelling of Cinderella's story but it's definitely very interesting and engaging. I can't wait for the next book and what other problems and hurdles these two lovers will have to go through in order to keep and fight for their love. 

I give the book 4.5/5 fancy dinner plates. I love that the female character in this story is not some helpless damsel in distress. Princess Charm is indeed in distress here due to the responsibility and future of the kingdom being placed on her shoulders but she is one smart and daring lady. I am happy that in this story, she is not some meek person who just took all the beating. She is an empowered and intelligent woman and she is someone who is absolutely not going to just stand by and let things happen. I wished the original Cinderella was more like Princess Charm.



A mother's touch that could cure any ills, all except this one.
- J. A. Armitage, Charm - 


Thank you, J. A. Armitage, for the ARC.




No comments:

Post a Comment