Sunday, October 16, 2016

When It Holds You (It Series #3) by Nicki Elson | ARC | A Book Review

When It Holds You (It Series #3) by Nicki Elson Book Review

This is the third installment of the It Series. I have not read the first and second books. I usually read the previous books in a series so I would at least know what to expect. For this one, I skipped it because I have overdone myself and had received a lot of free books that I need to review. Good thing this is a stand alone. I will probably just go back to those two books when I have the time.

When It Holds You is the story of Ciff Walsh. He is a lawyer by profession and an avid online gamer by night. He is in love with his best friend Trish but she's in love with someone else. So, Cliff decided, maybe it's high time for him to let go and move on which is easier said than done. On the virtual world, Cliff met a fellow online gamer named PlanetClaire and developed a friendship with her. Then, PlanetClaire had a very unusual proposition which was very tempting. Cliff's curiosity got the better of him. He agreed. And the rest will definitely shock you, just like Cliff and Claire.

I felt sorry for Cliff. He was too caught up in his wish for the girl to finally fall in love with him that he somehow forgotten that there are other fishes in the pond. Good thing he realized it before he eventually made a grand fool of himself. I like that he finally acknowledged the signs and honestly came out with his feelings to his best friend. I think that was a very bold move and I commend him, even if he got his heart broken but at least the torture has ended. I would way, Cliff is the epitome of nice guys finish last.

I think I hate Trish. I am sure, anyone with half a brain would notice what she was doing to Cliff. Not that she's dumb but her actions were totally not the best. I totally understand why Cliff would misinterpret them. 

I think the story started slow. Pretty much just Cliff moaning about his unrequited love for his best friend. Though, this is sort of a breath of fresh air since I have not read a lot of books with guys so hung up on someone, except on mystery and crime books where the guy kills the girl. Don't worry, this is not an if-I-can't-have-her-no-one-else-can story. But I was not so into it and I just wanted to just breeze through so I can reach the end. I think the story could be summed up in two parts. First, Cliff is in love with Claire. Then, Cliff realizes Claire will never be his, so he has to move on. And move on he did. But this is not to say that the story is not worth reading at all. You will be shocked. Just like I was which totally blindsided me. I did not see it coming. I truly welcomed the surprise. If not for this, I would have thought this would have been a downer. I definitely appreciate the punch that the author kept until the right moment. Very nicely done.

Again, I did not expect the big revelation. It was really surprising and I think this was the best part of the whole story. I am happy for Cliff that finally things are looking good on the love front. And smart of him to realize that he won't end up with his best friend. Someone more suited for him is there somewhere, maybe hiding in the virtual world.

I give the book three stars. I think the good parts of the story only started when Cliff developed a friendship with PlanetClaire. The rest were just the background story which I didn't really find fascinating and can be ignored. I liked that it ended well and that Trish is not anymore the center of Cliff's universe. Yeah, definitely not a fan of Trish in this story. One thing that the book is telling everyone is that not all best friends end up with each other or are meant to fall in love. Some just are meant to stay just that - best of friends. Some people are lucky enough to find love in the virtual universe. And that there might be some really nice guys hiding behind an online character or alias. 



I promise not to become your crutch but you've got to let me be the soft cushion you land on before you pick yourself up.

- Nicki Elson, When It Holds You - 



Release Date: October 19, 2016

Thank you Nicki Elson and librarything.com for the ARC.


No comments:

Post a Comment