Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Double Take (The Serial Killer Unit #1) by Allie Redman | ARC | A Book Review

Double Take by Allie Redman Book Review

I saw  the author's post in Twitter asking if anyone wanted to read and review her book. I replied to her tweet and wa-la! I got an ARC. Thank you Allie Redman.

This is the first of The Serial Killer Unit series. FBI Agent Dawson Freeman was forced to return to his hometown to solve a double murder. This murder has the same MO as the double murder that happened ten years ago. It seems that the killer is connected to him and only Dawson can solve the case. Going back to his hometown reminds him of the tragedy that befell his family and revisit old wounds that were never healed. Will Dawson find the killer before he gets to him first?

This is a fast-paced chase. This was like my favorite TV series Criminal Minds only I am reading it instead of watching. The events were rapid-fire. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I heard myself exhale deeply. It felt like I was also physically drained following through all the things Dawson had to do in order to catch up with the killer. It seemed like Dawson will always be many steps behind him. And the whole time I was thinking that surely, the killer would be in one of his circle. Thank God, he wasn't. And I never in any way could figure out who the killer was. Like the Dawson and the rest of his friends, there was absolutely no clear clue as to the identity of the killer. The clues given were pretty generic. No wonder Dawson was having a hard time figuring it out. Just like in the TV series, the one thing the lead to the identity of the unsub (Unknown Subject, FBI term for suspect used in Criminal Minds) was the time difference between the first murder and the next one. I thought that was really a very useful clue. But that alone would not have pointed out the killer. Thanks to all the very helpful friends of Dawson who joined to crack the case. I love that his friends have all very interesting personalities that add more color to the story. 

One other thing that I love about the book is the adding of the kid characters. They were so cute and smart. They at least lighten the seriousness of the story. Children really give off light and that was what exactly portrayed here. 

There were also life quotes featured from other authors like Lao Tzu and Paulo Coelho. It was my first time to hear this quote and is my favorite. I think it's going to be my strength-infusing mantra in times when my confidence and courage falters. It somehow successfully described my life in one sentence. I feel teary-eyed just reading this line.
I am full of wounds and still standing on my feet.
  - Nikos Kazantzakis - 

I was absolutely high on this story even though it felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. I am a big fan of mystery, suspense and thriller stories. It's been a while since the last one I read. The only thing I did not like about it were the cheesy love declarations and promises between Dawson and Sam. I think they were overdone. I mean, I get it. They love each other and would do anything to stay together in spite of danger and death lurking near but it was way too much. I understand that they should have been together  like more than ten years ago but they were just too mushy.This was a mystery story, right? 

I give the book four knives. I would love to read the succeeding books in the series.


...still carrying around everyone's burdens on your own. You're the master of your own hell.
- Allie Redman, Double Take -


Release Date: October 21, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment