Wednesday, November 22, 2017

By Light of Hidden Candles by Daniella Levy | A Book Review

By Light of Hidden Candles by Daniella Levy | A Book Review by iamnotabookworm!


I have always been fascinated with historical fiction/thriller stories. Anything with a historical background or story that transports me back to the past, as far back as the age of the cavemen, is surely going to end up in my TBR. This book is one. Even more so, because it talks about faith--Jewish faith. Judaism. I am not Jewish but this story had me reeling because it hits my weakness. I love stories about conspiracies or theories or just about anything about faith, religion, and artifacts. This story just had a mix of all that.

This is my first time to read a book by this author and I am happy to admit that it was not a wasted effort. This book transported me to Spain--the modern and the old one. It brought me as far back as the time of the Spanish Inquisition. The time when Jews were exiled and persecuted by the Spanish authorities. This story also reminded me one of the books I just read last month about Christopher Columbus--The Virgin of the Wind Rose by Glen Craney. The same book spoke of the Spanish Inquisition and how Jews at that time hid their faith just so they could stay alive. 

Unlike Glen Craney's book which was more of conspiracies and plots and a likely theory of the real identity of Columbus, this book is more of a romantic genre. This book centers on two strong characters of opposing religion--Alma, a devout and practicing Jew; and Manuel, a Catholic Spaniard who wants to become a priest. These two crossed paths when Manuel, out of curiosity stopped at a Jewish shop of Alma's grandma. Both were oblivious to the fact that their lives are more entwined than they ever could imagine.

The story goes back a few generations where the ancestors of these two characters met. The beginning of the story which leads up to the current time where Alma is tasked to fulfill what her grandmother and her great-grandmothers before her were unable to accomplish. Alma, out of her love for her grandmother and for curiosity of the women in their family that came before her, gladly accepted the honor and the opportunity to get to know more about her family tree. 

At the same time, here is Manuel, obviously, taken with Alma when he first saw her. As fate would have it, Manuel and Alma get to partner with each other to do the research on their family tree in Spain. These two's  differences in faith would prove to be both an advantage and a hindrance to their slowly blossoming closeness. Manuel, by some inexplicable force or reason could not temper his curiosity for the Jewish religion. It seemed like an unknown hand is guiding him to probe deeper into the intricacies and ceremonies of the Jewish culture and Judaism. And it doesn't help that he is bound by his love and loyalty to a Catholic priest who was like a second father to him.

All these doubts and confusion going on both in Alma and in Manuel, added to the air of suspense to the whole story. Not to the mention, the quest for each of the stories of each ancestors. The daunting task of both being able to unravel their families history and background has been a really addicting ride. At first, the search proved to be hitting a dead end and then, the unlikely discoveries, one after the other, were leading up to the climax of both realizing they were a product of a long history of friendship, business partnership, and more.

And the best part of the story was when Manuel met his grandmother's sister. It was what I have been waiting all along. I had a suspicion that the little things his mother does for him, like being a vegetarian and all, weren't just nuisance details but a hint into something more. It was the grandmother of all revelations. I took a really deep breath after that part. Ah...a happy ending after all.

I give this book 5/5 lit candles. This story brought light to me as to the customs and intricacies of the Jewish religion and culture. It is a good insight into the religion that was purported to be the origin of the Catholic faith. The intricately planned and written historical background of the characters and the connection between Alma and Manuel just blew me away. I admit, at the start, I had an inkling that Manuel will prove to be a big part of Alma and her quest to fulfill her grandma's last wish. As to how the story was beautifully and artfully uncovered was just so beyond me. It was so exhilarating and fulfilling. It was like I was with Alma and Manuel in Spain, digging through the archives for some document that will contain some evidence as to lives of my descendant. This book had me thinking that maybe, since the Spaniards occupied my country for 333, I too may have a drop of Spanish blood in my veins. What an adventure it would be to go and research that lost family connection? That's just a thought. I am not actually sure if we have Spanish ancestors. Just the thought of undertaking the same endeavor as Alma and Manuel and then finding actual proof is just too hard to pass. I actually have a desire to trace my family tree, especially on my mother's side since they are a really big family and relatives are scattered all over. I have started with the project but have not been really giving a lot of thought to it. Who knows, because of this story, I might continue on reconstructing that family tree and eventually find I might be related to some important hero like Lapu-lapu. Again, just a thought.


But you know, our story is not only about exile and oppression and suffering. It is the story of thriving, of triumph, and of great faith. It is the story of a people that laughs in the face of deepest despair, that stubbornly clings to life and to joy even in the face of horror and death. We take our pain and turn it into poetry. We take our misfortune and transform it into opportunity.
- Daniella Levy, By Light of Hidden Candles -



Thank you, Netgalley and Daniella Levy, for the copy of this amazing story.




No comments:

Post a Comment