Thursday, December 1, 2016

Between Hope and the Highway by Charissa Stastny | A Book Review

Between Hope and the Highway by Charissa Stastny Book Review

I had friends from Manila who came over to Cebu to relax for the Thanksgiving holiday. They work for US-based companies, so they were off last Thursday and Friday. I showed them around so I was also off from reading and writing reviews. We had a really great time catching up and reminiscing our funny experiences and misadventures together. I was reassured that no matter where I am, I have really great friends who are always there for me. I am thankful for all these life-long friends and sisters from another mother that I have found. 

Between Hope and the Highway is a story about moving on, literally and figuratively. This is the story of Lizzie Ruthersford. She moved to Montana to get over a lot of things. You could say, she ran away from a heart-breaking experience, from a mother who suffocates her and to find herself. But in Montana, Lizzie's heart is threatened to be broken again. Will she take to the highway once more?

Yes, this is a story of hope, of love and redemption. And I loved it. I fell in love with Liz and Rawson's characters. Their characters were portrayed as close to people in real life. It did not feel like they were just figments of the imagination. They could easily be you, me or anyone. Very relatable characters that had me clutching my heart and aching for them. Their problems and fears were so real, I felt them too. 

This is one of those stories that is so heartbreaking but was laid out very subtly. It broke my heart little by little as the story unraveled. There were a lot of very witty exchanges between Liz and Rawson that made me teary-eyed with laughter. This book  was filled with really accurate metaphors. I think my e-book copy is riddled with blue all over because I highlighted them all. The smart banter between these two made the story more captivating. It was my favorite part of the book.

Aside from the two main characters I have mentioned, I also love Ben. If I ever have a little brother, I wanted it to be Big Ben. I learned a lot from his character. He is brave and so honest. If teenagers are like him, then the world has less to worry about the future.

Between Hope and the Highway is a story of forgiveness. Of coming to terms with past mistakes and taking responsibility for all the consequences. Of finally, pulling that thorn that had been buried deep within one's chest and coming out clean. This story gave voice to all our endeavors of trying to make the most out of our lives. Of trying to go back into grace, for those who have lost their way. Of changing life directions.

I give this book 5/5 galloping horses. The story has a way of holding on to you. You won't get out of its tight grasp until you reach the end. And it will leave you with so many thoughts. This book discussed very current concerns like bullying, psychological disorders and conditions like bi-polar and down-syndrome and addiction.






Thank you again ebooksforreview.com for the copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment