Friday, November 11, 2016

Don't Wake Me Up by M.E. Rines | ARC | A Book Review

Don't Wake Me Up by M.E. Rines Book Review

How cool is it to be able to astral project? Astral projection, according to Wikipedia is a willful out-of-body experience. It is a form of telepathy that assumes the existence of a soul or consciousness called "astral body" that is separate from the physical body and capable of travelling outside of it.

I first encountered astral projection in the movie series Charmed. Remember the famous beautiful and powerful Halliwell sisters? I used to hurry home from school so I could watch their episodes every Monday. Prue was the one who can astral project.

Sixteen-year old Colleen has an exceptional ability to astral project and she often turns to it to escape the pressures of school and reality. In Limbo, she is tasked to help the souls of those who just died to help them walk into the light. It was how she met Daemon. A ghost who doesn't know he is dead and has some unfinished business before he can enter heaven. Colleen will need to help him but what if she doesn't want him to leave?

This is a very interesting story. I was hooked right from the start. I was very curious about astral projection. I think it's a very useful ability to possess. I have not meet real people who can actually do this. How amazing would it be to know someone who can do this? But, if I have this ability, I would not go announcing it to the whole world. They would think that I have gone bonkers. And admit it, I don't think I will just believe anyone who will tell me that s/he can do an out-of-body experience. I would be suspicious and the logical part of me will always demand for a proof. Or maybe, a demonstration?

I also liked that the book talked about abusive relationships and how often the victims are in denial of the true situation. They often defend the other person. Some also blame themselves for giving their partner a reason to hurt them. No one deserves to be abused, even if you have done something to provoke the other party. Violence is never the answer. It will never solve anything. It will only cause more damage and pain. And people who have a tendency to hurt other people with the slightest hint will need to seek help.

I love that Colleen, the main character, was finally able to see and admit the truth of her situation and move on from there. Furthermore, she finally got that one thing that she wished for. I love happy endings.

I give the book five stars. The title is perfect for the story. If I would have the ability to astral project and meet someone hot and funny in the astral plane, I think I would also say the same thing. Please don't wake me up. 


Sacrifices always hurt at first. In time, you'll find that scar will grow into something incredible. You'll show off the wounds like diamonds. It will shape you as a human being and turn you into something even more special than you already are.
- M. E. Rines, Don't Wake Me Up - 



Thank you again Carol of Star Angel Reviews and M.E. Rines for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment